The annual open studios events all over the world provide the means for self-guided tours of artist studios and workshops, totally free of charge to the public. This art-loving and art-buying public enjoys one-on-one exchanges with creative people and appreciate learning more about what inspires the creators of the pieces they particularly like – and may buy. They are fascinated by demonstrations of techniques and enjoying some refreshments at the same time.
Open Studios visitors exploring the work of Patricia Leighton (New York) http://www.studios-efanyc.org/
see what others say about open studios…
You may wonder why we do what we do. Well, I asked myself that same question just yesterday!
The answer was quite simple: to serve those who take the trouble to share the manifestation of their hopes and dreams in the form of their creations, and the second part of the answer: to serve an appreciative public who respect what you do and are taking the trouble to pay you a visit!
It also gives us the opportunity to collaborate with organisations such as PAFOS2017 and Cyprus Tourist Organisation as well as other respected people island-wide. Don’t you think that’s exciting? Your name and what you do become better known in the process.
BUT… here’s the catch: You need to register as a member of Cyprus Open Studios by 30 April 2017.
Here are some benefits of becoming a member of COS – Cyprus Open Studios
* A website entry – a page of your own – on the site with 8 images of your work, directions and a map to find you, your artist statement, as well as your detailed CV if you wish it to be included
* Publicity over all media, newspapers, magazines, radio and television
* Publicity abroad in art and culture publications and travel magazines
* Being featured in the printed catalogue with 1 image, again on a page of your own – not only distributed locally, but also published on a global publishing platform … the entire year of your membership – and beyond. Valuable beyond measure!
* Gaining recognition is critical to being or becoming a professional artist or artisan
* Signage to guide visitors to your studio or workshop
* Networking opportunities with fellow members
* You gain exposure to the art-loving and art-buying public
* You take 100% of the direct sales of your artwork as well as the proceeds of any commissions you gain
* Be a part of the larger community and meet other artists from all over the island and abroad
* You have the opportunity to build your vein of gold: your mailing list!
* COS serves as an inspiration to create new work every year and to interact with a deeply admiring public – yes, they love it! Hundreds of open studio events worldwide are proof of that!
Cyprus Open Studios have also negotiated with galleries in Larnaca, Limassol, Nicosia and Paphos to host Cyprus Open Galleries – register as a member under Cyprus Open GALLERIES and you stand a chance of being part of a curated exhibition in one of four or five well-respected galleries island-wide. The fee is incredibly low for a curated exhibition!
Over and above this, we also assist artists – physically – to exhibit abroad. Six hopefuls applied for the Royal Academy of Arts Summer Show, and whilst they were not accepted, they now go on to the Salon des Refuses exhibition, also in London. Marina Emphietzi works tirelessly to promote you and your work in London. There are other venues lined up, still in negotiating stages, but if you are serious about what you do, we can help you widen your platform. The intention is to show elsewhere in Europe throughout the year of your membership.
Lastly, the winner of the 2016 COS Prize Draw came to claim her prize. She chose to put the €150,00 voucher, sponsored by art-en-route-cyprus.com, towards a sculpture made by Karen Betts of Artemis Studios. Here are some happy faces on the occasion:
Karen Betts, Terri Cook and Maria Etheridge at Artemis Studios with Aphrodite’s Tail
Cyprus Open Studios run a free prize draw during the month of October whereby visitors collect signatures from four separate studio locations to qualify. The completed form goes into a big bag and an impartial observer publicly pulls out the name of the lucky winner of the Gift Voucher. This year, it will once again be sponsored by art-en-route-cyprus.com, a directory website for all artists living and working in Cyprus, some of whom are participants in Cyprus Open Studios.
- Collaborating with Pafos2017 for a one day event in June for COS members – more next time.
- The opportunity to use empty shops as studios for those who do not have their own studios and wish to participate anyway. We are in the process of negotiating with Pafos2017 in this regard.
Till next time, keep on creating!
The COS Team.